Monday, May 30, 2011

Taking Time to Say Thank You...


Although Memorial Day tends to be marked by most with a day off from work, time at the pool or beach, and barbecuing, it's also a moment to reflect on the bravery of the men and women who have served our country through the years, especially those who gave their lives in an effort to protect and defend the US.

I'm not a particularly patriotic person, because I believe many people who claim patriotism would think gay people are unpatriotic or un-American. And I don't agree with the philosophy of some, that voting a certain way or believing certain things make you more patriotic than others.

However, on Memorial Day, and every day, I am tremendously grateful to those who risk their lives to protect the US, both domestically and abroad. I am grateful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country. And I hope there will come a day not too far in the future where anyone who wants to serve our country can do so, regardless of sexual orientation.

Never forget...we are the land of the free because of the brave. Thank you for your bravery and your sacrifices.

No comments:

Post a Comment