Monday, February 4, 2013

A truly superb Super Bowl...

You know, I can't remember the last time I was pleased about both teams playing in the Super Bowl, or when the game turned out to be such a nail-biter that I was utterly hooked from start to finish, less the 35-minute pause for the ridiculous power outage in the Superdome. (Of course, watching the game on our friends' 110-inch television while sitting in a recliner didn't hurt matters any either.) While it was great to see the Baltimore Ravens end up the victors, who knew what could have happened if the refs had made the call Jim Harbaugh thought they should?

Some years the Super Bowl is known for terrific commercials and some years you find yourself wondering, "Is this what these companies are paying millions of dollars for?" While I don't understand the point of showing all the commercials before the game (and I avoided watching any of them until they showed two at the movies yesterday morning), I enjoyed a number of the commercials I saw yesterday. Among my favorites:

OREO's "Whisper Fight" made me laugh...and made me crave the cookies. (And isn't that what good advertising is supposed to do?)


Doritos again this year brought the funny with this lesson to never trust a goat.


I loved Tide's "Big Stain" commercial, and kudos for predicting the overall outcome of the game.


Even though I saw this ad at the movies earlier in the day, I still enjoyed Taco Bell's take on Fun.'s We Are Young.


As for the tearjerkers, Budwiser's Clydesdale commercial (set to Fleetwood Mac's Landslide) made me pretend I had something in my eye.


And Jeep's Oprah-narrated "Whole Again" ad saluted the men and women who defend our country. A beautiful job.


I also enjoyed Kia's two ads, as well as M&M's take on Meatloaf's I Would Do Anything for Love and Dorito's "Fashionista Daddy" spot. Ram Trucks' ad, which used Paul Harvey's 1970 speech "So God Made a Farmer" was emotional, but it ran a bit too long for me and I didn't feel as if it actually marketed its product. And once again, the folks at GoDaddy.com baffled and disgusted me with their ad, which had model Bar Rafaeli making out with a "nerd." Clearly the company is making enough money to pay for these ads, but I just don't get it.

Oh, and how cool was the brief Destiny's Child reunion? Thought that was the best part of the halftime show. And in honor of the night the lights went out in the Superdome, here's a classic clip from Designing Women. There was no one quite like Dixie Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment