Saturday, August 31, 2019

Book Review: "When Dimple Met Rishi" by Sandhya Menon

I’ve been meaning to read this for a few years; now that I devoured it in one night, I don’t know what took me so long. I loved this book and it totally captured my heart!!

Dimple Shah is ready to break away from her traditional parents, who seem to want nothing more than for her to marry an IIH (Ideal Indian Husband) and give them grandchildren. But seeing as she just graduated high school, she’s definitely not ready for that—if she ever will be. She doesn't believe that her value can only be determined by her looks or the type of man she marries; she knows she is intelligent and wants to make a real contribution to society.

Even though her parents let her go to Stanford she knows they’re just hoping she meets the right boy. All her mother is worried about is if she'll remember to wear makeup to class and fix her hair appropriately. But then her parents let her go to a summer web coding workshop, so perhaps they get her just a little, right?

Rishi Patel has the soul and talent of an artist, but as the oldest son, he knows he must do what is practical and pursue a career which will allow him to provide for a family and care for his parents someday. Even though some think them old-fashioned, he is actually enamored of many of the traditions of his culture and doesn't care if it seems weird to follow them.

When Rishi finds out his future wife will be attending a summer workshop, he decides to attend too so he can woo her. He has no idea what he's in for!

You can probably guess where things will go from here. Suffice it to say that When Dimple Met Rishi is a heartfelt, fun, romantic, and thought-provoking look at our obligations to our family and to our cultural traditions. It’s also a terrifically enjoyable, utterly engaging rom-com with memorable characters.

This book really hit the spot for me and I devoured it in a matter of hours. Could I pretty much chart what I thought would happen? Sure, but there were a few surprises, too. These characters had flaws and were so real and appealing, and Sandhya Menon makes you root for them.

Some people have really torn this book apart, particularly Rishi's character, because of his desire to adhere to the old-fashioned traditions. The truth is, there are some teenagers who do feel that way, so I felt that Menon's depiction was actually more realistic than going with the assumption that every teenager rebels against tradition.

When Dimple Met Rishi left me with a smile on my face and maybe a tear or two in my eyes. I’ll definitely be reading Menon’s follow-up now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment