Thursday, November 17, 2022

Book Review: "Scattered Showers" by Rainbow Rowell

When one of your favorite authors writes a story collection, you jump on it.

I love the way Rainbow Rowell writes. Eleanor & Park is among my all-time favorites, and I’ve loved Fangirl, Landlines, Attachments, and the Simon and Baz series. Seeing as I’d read her grocery list, you can bet I was excited to read her first-ever story collection.

All nine of these stories are love stories. A few feature familiar characters—Simon and Baz appear in “Snow for Christmas,” Beth and Jennifer from Attachments are featured in “Mixed Messages,” and Reagan from Fangirl is the star of “If the Fates Allow.” It’s so good to return to characters I’ve loved, but it’s equally wonderful to meet new characters.

These stories are charming, funny, romantic, and one even features a prince who falls in love with a troll. (But the story has much deeper meaning.) Unlike when I’ve read many story collections, there wasn’t one weak link for me. Each story made me smile, some made me laugh, and I even teared up from a few. (That shouldn’t be surprising.)

If you love charming stories that will touch your heart, pick up Scattered Showers. Now that I'm done, of course, I'm ready for another of her books, but I can be (mostly) patient…

No comments:

Post a Comment