Thursday, June 10, 2021

Book Review: "How Y'All Doing? Misadventures and Mischief from a Life Well Lived" by Leslie Jordan

Comic actor Leslie Howard shares fun recollections and reflections in How Y'All Doing? Misadventures and Mischief from a Life Well Lived.

Do you read books written by celebrities? I read a few memoirs here and there, but that’s about it. However, when I saw Leslie Jordan’s smiling face on the cover of this book, I couldn’t resist. It's not really a memoir, but more a collection of memories and anecdotes.

Jordan is best known for his Emmy Award-winning role as Beverley Leslie on Will & Grace as well as for roles on multiple seasons of American Horror Story. He’s also an outspoken activist for equal rights.

In How Y'All Doing?, Jordan shares humorous stories from different times in his life and career, from the time Debbie Reynolds called his mother after he appeared in the National Enquirer while wearing drag, to his fascination with dolls, or his run-in with a group of homophobic thugs. The stories feel like Jordan is there talking to you, saying, “Did I ever tell you about the time Lady Gaga and I…”

This was a quick, fun, sometimes poignant read, and I’d imagine that the audio would be hysterically funny since he narrates it. At times I wondered whether one person could have that many wacky adventures, but I realized that if anyone could, it’s Leslie Jordan!

No comments:

Post a Comment