Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Book Review: "The Lucky List" by Rachael Lippincott

As I was reading Rachael Lippincott's new YA novel, The Lucky List, I was thinking, "I’m not crying, I’m just moistening my eyes." (Darned pollen!)

There was a time where Emily had never met a prank not worth pulling or a risk not worth taking. She felt like she and her mom were the luckiest people in their small town. Until three years ago, when her mom’s luck ran out and she died of cancer.

But the summer before senior year of high school, everything has fallen apart. Emily very publicly wrecked her relationship with her boyfriend at junior prom so her friends are all mad at her, and her father has decided it’s time for a fresh start, so he’s selling their house and giving away all of her mom’s stuff.

When she finds her mother’s high school bucket list in a box in her closet, she believes that if she completes the things on that list, it may bring her closer to her mom. And when Blake, the daughter of her father’s best friend, volunteers to help her accomplish the tasks, she feels closer to her mom than she has in a long time, but she also feels an unexpected connection with Blake.

As Emily tries to complete everything on her mom’s list, she has to decide what she wants the ultimate outcome to be. Does she want to go back to the life she thinks her mother would want for her, even if she might not, or is it time to acknowledge the feelings she has for Blake and take a risk?

I loved The Lucky List, this story of grief, friendship, fresh starts, and having the courage to be exactly who you are. My mom died when I was very young, before I knew her, and so some of the emotions described in the book really resonated with me. But I wasn’t crying, you were!

I should’ve expected an emotional read from the coauthor of Five Feet Apart, but it wasn't too sad. I found this sweet, special, and so moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment