Monday, February 22, 2010

Book Review: "Love is a Mix Tape" by Rob Sheffield



Mix tapes defined my life from middle school through college. Whether it was taping songs from the radio (complete with commercials and DJ chatter), creating mixes for friends and significant others, or making mixes for particular moods or occasions, I believe it was these early days that lay the foundation for my obsession with music. And the most unbelievable thing is that 5-10 years from now, many young people will have no idea what a "mix tape" is.

Rob Sheffield's Love is a Mix Tape is easily one of the best books I've read in a long while. Part the memoir of a lifelong music lover, part a funny and heartbreaking love story, this book grabbed me at page 1 and never let me go. Not only do I want to download every song mentioned in this book, I want to find others who were as captivated by the story as I was. Sheffield's style is wry, a little sarcastic and unafraid to embrace the emotions that this boy-meets-girl, boy-marries-girl, girl-dies story brings out. I had never heard of this book before finding it at Borders but I am so glad I did. Honestly, if you love music, if you love memoirs or if you just love love, this is a book I hope you'll read and treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment