Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hope You're Recovering Well, But Can You Stay Away a Little Longer?



Tomorrow Tiger Woods will hold his first news conference since retreating from the golfing world after his multiple extra-marital discretions came to light. While he is expected to make a public apology and perhaps announce his impending return to the PGA Tour, I'm hoping he decides to sit on the sidelines a little longer.

Like maybe the rest of the season.

I am awed by Woods' talent on the golf course. His almost-constant ability to make montage-worthy plays out of bunker shots and bad drives, and his amazing talent to bulldoze his competition is certainly exciting. Some of his wins belong rightfully in the annals of golf history.

But while all Tiger, all the time is apparently amazing for the PGA, I find it irritating. You see, I'm one of those people who doesn't like to see the same teams or players winning all the time. While athletic prowess impresses me, continued domination and dynasties make me cranky.

I don't want to take anything away from the athletes and teams who have achieved long bouts of greatness. I know the Lakers, the Bulls, Roger Federer, Serena and Venus Williams, the Yankees, the Patriots, the Duke Blue Devils and others have truly earned their places in athletic history. But it's more fun to watch someone else get the glory once in a while. I don't always root for the underdog per se (except during March Madness), but I do like to see some variety among the victors.

So while I hope Tiger Woods' recovery has gone well and he's been able to come to some detente with his estranged wife (for his children's sake if nothing else), should he choose to stay on the sidelines for a while longer, I won't complain. And I don't believe players like Steve Stricker, Bill Haas and Dustin Johnson will either, as they've been able to win without the shadow of El Tigre hanging over them.

People say that Woods's return is what professional golf needs. Maybe it's what some of the fans need. It's probably what his long-time caddy needs. But as a fan who is often surprised by how much I love golf, I'll take a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment