Sunday, August 5, 2012

Join hands and hearts and voices, voices, hearts, and hands...



Umm, yes, I have been watching Dirty Dancing recently. But I use the song from the Kellerman's end-of-the-season talent show, particularly for one line, sung by Max himself:
What we shared won't be forgotten, old friends are the best.
Having just returned the other day from San Diego, I was fortunate to spend several days with one of my oldest friends, whom I've known since the 4th grade, was super close to in high school, and haven't seen in probably 25(!) years.

I've reflected before on the opportunities I've had to reconnect with old friends, mainly thanks to Facebook. Each time I do, I come to the same conclusion—it doesn't matter how many years have passed, it doesn't matter how different the paths our lives have taken, spending quality time with old friends makes you feel like no time has passed. But at the same time, it is so wonderful to talk with childhood friends as adults, against the backdrop of the memories you've shared.

Anyone who questions the value of Facebook and other social media either hasn't had the opportunity to spend time with an old friend, or has the opportunity to see many of their old friends on a much regular basis than I do. I'm grateful for the chances I've had to see old high school and camp friends in the last few years, and look forward to more chances for these impromptu reunions in the near future.

If nothing else, I look forward to my 25th high school reunion, which may not happen until next summer (25, 26, who's counting). I hope that many of the folks I've had the chance to "talk" with via Facebook are there, because I know I will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment