Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What hatred and ignorance looks like...



You may have seen this make the rounds on the web this week, but this is a letter that someone posted on Reddit.

User RedBarc said, "In August of 2007, I finally built up the courage to tell my father I was gay. The moment I said it, the phone got quiet and he got off the phone after a few 'Okays'. I decided to give him time to process the news. About a week later, and not long before my birthday, I received the following letter:
'James: This is a difficult but necessary letter to write. I hope your telephone call was not to receive my blessing for the degrading of your lifestyle. I have fond memories of our times together, but that is all in the past. Don’t expect any further conversations With me. No communications at all. I will not come to visit, nor do I want you in my house. You’ve made your choice though Wrong it may be. God did not intend for this unnatural lifestyle. If you choose not to attend my funeral, my friends and family will understand. Have a good birthday and good life. No present exchanges will be accepted. Goodbye, Dad.'"
How can a parent turn their back on their child because of who they are, because of whom they choose to love? All too often I feel like as a society we take one step forward and two giant steps back in terms of acceptance of homosexuality, because it's so much easier to simply believe that gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people are inferior, are evil, are weak, and not deserving of equal rights. Some even believe that GLBT people aren't deserving of life at all, judging by the alarming rise in the level of anti-gay violence we've been seeing.

Why is it if we don't understand or agree with something, it's immediately wrong?

How much longer can we find intolerance, hatred, and bigotry acceptable? What about acceptance?

Everyone deserves better.

No comments:

Post a Comment