Thursday, May 16, 2013

More proof the world is going stone cold mad...


I've read about or seen a few things over the last few days that make me wonder if people in our world are just getting crazier, or if I'm just getting less tolerant. (I'm guessing it's somewhere in the middle of the two.)

Rich Manhattan mothers are hiring handicapped tour guides so their kids can cut lines at Disney. It's like something out of an episode of one of the Real Housewives shows, or even Arrested Development. Seriously. These women are hiring people with disabilities to pose as family members so they and their kids can jump to the front of lines. These so-called "black-market Disney guides" run $130 an hour, or $1,040 for an eight-hour day.

Now, I'm no fan of people who park in handicapped spots when they don't need to, forcing people with actual disabilities to walk further. But this seriously takes the cake. Although I guess it's just as pathetic that these individuals would be willing to rent themselves out for such a purpose. No better way to teach your kids values.

---------------------

She wanted to dance with somebody. On the plane. Think you've had to fly with annoying or crazy people? Well, folks on a recent flight from LAX to JFK win this battle hands down. Their flight had to make an emergency landing in Kansas City because a woman wouldn't stop singing Whitney Houston songs at the top of her lungs. (As American Idol has taught us, it's always the people who shouldn't be singing Whitney songs that do.)

The woman has apparently blamed her musical outburst on her diabetes. (I would have drawn the line at Rick Astley, but that's just me.) And as you'd imagine in this era of bystanders watching instead of helping, someone got video of the woman's swan song, I Will Always Love You on their cell phone.



---------------------

From the ridiculous to the, well, more ridiculous. This morning when I was walking to the Metro, I spied a car in the parking lot with a bumper sticker that read, "I'll get rid of my guns when God gets rid of the gays". Needless to say I had to remind myself (repeatedly) that slashing a car's tires or bashing in its windows would be a criminal act, and I'd probably not get to work on time.

Look, I'm not going to get into a debate about gun control now. I think I've made my feelings about that abundantly clear. But while you might have the right to amass an arsenal in your home, what gives you the right to hide behind your religion to preach bigotry and hate? It's always wonderful when people preach about what God hates or what God will destroy. I don't think God needs a spokesperson, no matter what religion you believe in.

Remember, guns don't kill people. Bigotry, prejudice, and ignorance kill people.

No comments:

Post a Comment