Patrick was on a cruise with his family for Thanksgiving. He remembered drinking a lot when they boarded the ship. But then he finds himself floating in the Gulf of Mexico, the cruise ship heading in the other direction. Did he fall overboard? Did he jump?
“But it’s appropriate that I’m in the Gulf of Mexico, because it felt like there was a gulf already. Between me and everything. Like everyone else was fine and I wasn’t and I couldn’t fix it and I don’t know why. But now all I want is to get back to all that.”
As he treads water and hopes he’ll be rescued, Patrick reflects on the many issues he’s dealing with in his life. He works as a physical therapist, with a part-time job as a personal trainer. But he’s been secretly attending classes to learn how to be a clown, and that has been bringing him some of the only joy he’s been experiencing.
Much of Patrick’s thoughts are about his mother, who battled cancer when Patrick was young, but after she recovered, she left the house one day and never came back. He hasn’t spoken to her in years, but recently she’s reached out to him via email and social media. He’s totally conflicted about whether or not to respond.
Each chapter of the book marks another hour that Patrick is treading water and hoping to be rescued. At various points he hallucinates that sea creatures are talking to him and giving him advice, and some even chide him for his immaturity. He wonders what his family will say when (or if) they realize he’s missing from the ship. Will it even matter?
I can’t even imagine this happening to me. Kathleen Rooney does a great job in making you feel as if you’re adrift in the gulf with Patrick. He’s not necessarily a sympathetic character, but you start to see how he could’ve wound up where he was. This was a bit of a slow burn but I enjoyed it a lot.

No comments:
Post a Comment