This book snuck up on me with its charm and humor. I didn’t realize how much fun I was having until I was finished!
Mona is a workaholic, climbing the corporate ladder at her marketing firm. She’s hoping that once the big piece of business she’s been working on gets finalized, she’ll get promoted. Then she can move out of her apartment building, a place she never intended to be for long.
But in a split second, she nearly ruins her career by angering a big client. Her boss puts her on disciplinary leave, which leaves Mona with nothing to do except have staring contests with her goldfish and deal with the guilt she feels about not reconciling with her father before he died.
When Irene, her landlady, winds up in the hospital, she asks Mona if she could fill in for a few weeks. Irene’s niece is a realtor who thinks her aunt needs to sell the building, so she enlists Mona’s help in getting the building into better shape. In return, she promises Mona a fancy new apartment.
She barely knows her neighbors, but definitely has opinions about many of them. Yet as she starts to bring order to the building’s chaos, she realizes that she’s started to care about her fellow tenants. She even starts to fall for Sami, the handsome owner of the diner next door. But what will happen when the building sells and everyone has to find a new place to live?
I love the found family trope, and the characters all turned out to be more multidimensional than I thought. The book is funny, but it’s also poignant, and I love the way Natalie Sue embraced the Persian heritage of Mona and Sami. This was quirky and heartwarming.

No comments:
Post a Comment