Saturday, October 10, 2026

Book Review: "The River Runs Black" by Tessa Wegert

Tessa Wegert has done it again!! This is her eighth book and I just love the characters and the community she’s created. She always delivers a twisty thriller with some emotional depth, and her books are always so satisfying!

New York State’s North Country, not far from the Canadian border, has been left reeling by the recent death of a high school senior due to a cocaine overdose. His parents say he had never taken drugs before; his friends will not divulge any information they might have about who supplied the cocaine.

When an enormous drug bust is made on a speedboat traveling from Canada to the North Country, the local investigators are excited by the record haul they recovered. But when they discover that the cocaine they seized doesn’t match the cocaine that killed the young man, they realize there must be a larger drug ring than they ever fathomed.

When an obviously high young woman is found wandering around downtown with barely any clothes on, the police try to help her. But she runs away from them, leaving them to wonder what she was running from and who was keeping her high. And when the teenage daughter of a local investigator goes missing, the stakes grow even more dangerous.

I love the dogged police work of Tim Wellington and Shana Merchant, and it was great to see their return as well as that of other characters, like Mac and Val. I’ve so enjoyed watching these characters develop and transform into something deeper. I felt as if there were hints about a 3rd book in this series—I sure do hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment