“The right book in the hands of the right person at exactly the right moment can change their life forever.”
This book has been sitting on my stack for a few months now and I’m so glad I finally read it! It’s a beautifully poignant and hopeful book, but it’s also a loving tribute to the power of books and bookstores. And I think so many of us can speak to that love, too!
The last thing Tilly is expecting is a phone call from a bookstore, telling her that her husband ordered her a book. Her husband, Joe, wasn’t much of a reader but he loved that Tilly was. But the thing is, Joe died six months ago.
When Tilly arrives at the bookstore, she learns that Joe arranged for her to receive a year of books—a new one every month. Tilly hasn’t read much since Joe got sick, and his loss is still too raw to really appreciate the gift at first. But judging from the books he picked out and the notes he wrote her, he knew her so well and knew the books would help.
Each book serves a different purpose—they teach, entertain, challenge, and help her to move on. She also begins to see the bookshop as an important piece of her life, not to mention Alfie, the kind owner of the bookshop. She’s also encouraged to help others move forward with their lives and deal with the challenges they face.
I thought this would be a difficult read emotionally, but while it’s sad at times, it’s really quite lovely. Tilly and Alfie are really wonderful characters, and I found the book so charming and heartwarming. This is definitely one I’ll keep thinking about!!

No comments:
Post a Comment