Saturday, October 10, 2026

Book Review: "Something Wicked" by Falon Ballard

Thanks so much to Falon Ballard for sending me an absolutely beautiful copy of her book! I saw a blurb that described this as a blend between Macbeth and Moulin Rouge!, so you know I had to dive in!

The Uprising led to the monarchs of all four of Avon’s provinces to step down. To find the united Avon’s first president, it has been decreed that the person who kills each of their province’s rulers will be a candidate in the election.

Callum, the son of King James of Scota, was raised to succeed his father on the throne. But even though he is level-headed and would make an excellent leader, he absolutely does not want to kill his father. However, this is what his father and other family members expect of him.

To help Callum deal with the guilt he will feel upon murdering his father, his sister enlists the help of Lady Caterine, a Gifted courtesan at Avon’s most exclusive sex club. Caterine has the ability to manipulate the emotions of anyone who has an orgasm in her presence, so Callum’s sister hopes Caterine can help him.

The last thing anyone is counting on is for Callum and Caterine to fall in love. Callum has never trusted the Gifted, yet he trusts her completely. But when other forces want to take control of the country, they must team up before both are betrayed. Can they be honest with one another and save the country? Do they both want to?

I’ve been a huge fan of Ballard’s rom-coms, so I was intrigued by her first foray into romantasy. This book has all the steam, plus intrigue, family drama, and even a little espionage. It was a fun read and I look forward to the next book in Ballard’s Idle Reputations series!

No comments:

Post a Comment