Monday, June 27, 2011

A Weighty Matter...


As I've discussed a number of times before on this blog, I've struggled with my weight more times than I can count. Because I wasn't an athletic child (and that's an understatement), and really enjoyed junk food, I had a weight problem almost constantly while I was growing up. Then, when college brought the tantalizing possibilities of drinking, all-you-can-eat meals on campus and late-night deliveries of pizza, wings and Chinese food, I didn't have a prayer.

At certain periods of my life, I took control over the situation. I lost a good deal of weight in the late 80s while on Nutri-System, but eventually gained it back. In the late 90s I got quite thin on Jenny Craig (and even needed my gall bladder removed because of the weight loss' effect on my body), but by the mid-2000s, I was back where I started.

As I've written before, about three years ago I took control again, this time simply by watching what I ate and joining a gym. I even ran a half-marathon in December 2009. But during the race I tore my hip flexor muscle, so I've never been able to exercise with the frequency I used to, and as life became more stressful, the eating followed.

At this point, I'm probably heavier than I've ever been and I'm not really sure what to do. I mean, I know what I need to do, but don't know how to do it this time. I wish there was just some simple way to take control once and for all. I know diet and exercise in the right combination is the best way, but given my hip, I just can't commit to as rigorous a physical activity regime as I used to be able to. And of course, it's a catch-22: I'm willing to bet my hip will be improved if I lose weight, but if I can't use my hip I can't exercise to lose weight.

I'm thinking Weight Watchers might be the answer. I need to learn how to eat better and I need to be accountable for what I eat. Of course, when you're both a foodie and a compulsive snacker, this is no easy feat.

Sigh. I'll keep you posted on my continuing adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment