Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My grown-up New Year's list...

I'm not much into New Year's resolutions, more because I think life should be about continuously setting goals and adjusting your focus when things don't succeed, rather than being overly ambitious on day one only to wind up disappointed in yourself when things don't work out. (There's plenty of time for me to be disappointed, believe me.)

That being said, I do have a list of ideas and goals I'd like to embrace in the coming year. Not all will be easily achievable, but that's what growing and bettering yourself is about, right?

Inspired by one of my favorite holiday songs, here's my Grown-up New Year's List:
  1. In the immortal words of Journey, don't stop believing, hold on to the feeling.

  2. Remember that strong is the new skinny. And emotional and intellectual muscles are just as important as physical ones.

  3. Sweating the small stuff is infinitely harder than simply sweating.

  4. Don't miss an opportunity to tell someone how important they are to you, because you never know when you'll miss the opportunity forever.

  5. Sing even when someone is listening. As they say, don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear.

  6. Play hard. Laugh hard. Work hard. Love hard.

  7. Help make "thank you" two words more overused in 2013 than "Kardashian," "fiscal cliff," or "Westboro Baptist Church."

  8. There's nothing wrong with wanting the same things others have, just don't let that want control you.

  9. Be your own hero. And it wouldn't hurt to be someone else's, too.

  10. Being perfect is overrated. Flawed people have more fun.

I wish all of you a happy, healthy 2013. And don't hesitate to remind me of any of the items on this list at any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment