Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Eagerly anticipating the sobbing...


2014 is only just about a month down, but there are already a number of movies I'm eagerly anticipating this year. While the adaptation of Mark Helprin's amazing Winter's Tale is due out soon (and looks good, despite the fact that Russell Crowe's presence is giving me Javert flashbacks), and the first half of Mockingjay (the final installment of The Hunger Games trilogy) will hit theaters toward the end of 2014, there's probably no movie I'm anticipating as eagerly as The Fault in Our Stars.

If you've been following my blog for a while, you may recall that John Green's The Fault in Our Stars was probably the best book I read in 2012. The book hooked me so hard I stayed up until nearly 2:00 a.m. finishing it, and then hating myself for reading it so quickly. Plus it was so emotionally gripping, I was sobbing on my couch in the middle of the night.

Shailene Woodley (The Descendants, The Spectacular Now and the upcoming Divergent) and Ansel Elgort (Carrie) star as Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus "Gus" Waters, teenagers who meet in a support group for kids with cancer. Gus is in remission from the osteosarcoma that took one of his legs a few years ago, and thanks to a miracle drug trial, the tumors in Hazel's lungs aren't continuing to grow, although she knows that's just a matter of time. The two are snarky, sarcastic, sensitive, and wise beyond their years, and begin an intense friendship that brings them both joy.

The first trailer for the movie came out today. I'm not embarrassed to say I've watched it about five times already. (Some of my colleagues are hooked, too, so I'm not alone in this obsession.) Maybe you won't understand what my excitement is about, but watch the trailer and you might. The movie opens in June, and I'm already prepared to sob.

No comments:

Post a Comment