Thursday, September 13, 2018

Book Review: "Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating" by Christina Lauren

I've always enjoyed romantic comedies at the movies, but I've never really been a fan of them in book form. But sometime over the last year I found the writing duo that calls themselves Christina Lauren. I was absolutely wowed by Autoboyography (see my review) last year, and then earlier this year I fell for Love and Other Words (see my review), and that will be one of my favorite books of 2018.

Who is this man that I've become?

I don't know, but after reading their newest book, Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating, one thing is clear: I'm all in on the Christina Lauren fan train. Their books may be predictable at times, they may be a little sappy, but I don't care. They are I-wish-I-could-stay-in-this-chair-until-I-finish-this-book readable, and they're utterly heartwarming to boot.

Josh and Hazel have had more than a few meet-not-so-cutes. There was the time in college when Hazel threw up all over his shoes. Or the time when she was dating one of his roommates, and Josh walked in while the two were using the couch, although not for relaxation. And then there was the time when he was her TA, and she wasn't able to turn in a paper because she had to have her wisdom teeth removed, so she wrote him an email while on painkillers, an email he printed and framed.

Hazel is a third-grade teacher, and she may have more in common with her students than she cares to admit. She's a free spirit, eccentric, completely without filter, fun-loving, and not ashamed of anything. She is loyal, loving, and generous to a fault. She'd give you the shirt off her back—literally—but she knows that makes her a difficult romantic prospect. Josh, on the other hand, is a physical therapist, who craves order and calm.

"'I realize that finding the perfect person isn't going to be easy for me because I'm a lot to take,' she says, 'but I'm not going to change just so that I'm more datable.'"

When she and Josh meet again 10 years later, they know they aren't a suitable match romantically, but each grows enamored of the other as a friend. They happily settle into their role as best friends, and begin setting each other up on blind dates, with each one turning out a bit more disastrous than the last.

"The world seems full of men who are initially infatuated by our eccentricities, but who ultimately expect them to be temporary. These men eventually grow bewildered that we don't settle down into calm, potential-wifey girlfriends."

Of course, the more they try to find the perfect person for the other, the more they start to realize how intense their feelings are for each other. But how can they jeopardize the easy rapport, the casual, laid-back friendship they share? What happens if taking the next step is absolutely the worst thing they can do? Is life without Hazel (or Josh) the life they want?

"'But if you changed your mind about something like that,' Emily says, 'I think that's the one thing that could dim her light. We both know Hazel is a butterfly. I think you have the power to take the dust from her wings.'"

You probably know what will happen, and you'd be partly, or perhaps mostly, right. But the appeal of Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating doesn't lie in surprises, it lies in the utter charm of its characters, the utter warmth of its heart, the beauty of its message of being yourself no matter what, and, if I'm being honest, some pretty steamy sex scenes. I didn't want to tear myself away from this book because I couldn't get enough of it.

Some label Christina Lauren's books as "chick lit," and while perhaps as a whole they may appeal more to women than men, the term "chick lit" shouldn't be seen as an insult or somehow connoting they're not well-written. These books are sweet, warm, sexy, sensitive, emotional, and fun, and if that's a bad thing, I'll still line up for more. (Their next book comes out in December, so at least I won't have to wait long.)

No comments:

Post a Comment