Monday, December 24, 2018

Book Review: "Confessions of the Fox" by Jordy Rosenberg

When I first saw the description of this book, I thought it was going to be similar to Mackenzi Lee's book, The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, which I loved and absolutely devoured. There's just something to be said for historical novels which tweak the then-conventional ideas of gender and sexuality.

While Confessions of the Fox is definitely a creative idea, it really didn't work for me. I've never been a big fan of the whole is-what-you're-reading-true-or-simply-a-construct-of-the-narrator's-imagination concept, and this book trades on that idea a lot. I thought that Jack, in particular, was a fascinating character, but I kept stumbling over the idea that what I was reading might not actually have happened, and that made me lose focus quite a bit.

Jordy Rosenberg did a terrific job with this idea, but the story as a whole just didn't work for me.

NetGalley and Random House provided me an advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making this available!

No comments:

Post a Comment