Sunday, July 5, 2020

Book Review: "Head Over Heels" by Hannah Orenstein

I honestly never knew I was missing a gymnastics-related love story until I found Hannah Orenstein'a Head Over Heels, but boy, was I ever!

Avery spent her entire childhood training to be an Olympic gymnast. She sacrificed any chance at being a “normal” teenager, endured the emotional abuse of her famous coach, stressed about her weight, and dreamed of the Olympics. And in one moment, her dreams and her career ended, leaving her ill-prepared for what came next.

Now, 7 years later, on the heels of breaking up with her football-star boyfriend, she moves home to Massachusetts to live with her parents. Not long after coming home, she gets a call from Ryan, a former Olympic gymnast that she and her best friend used to have a crush on. He asks if she’d be interested in helping coach a teenage gymnast with true Olympic potential.

Avery jumps at the chance to help coach Hallie, and feels like she’s making a difference. She can’t ignore the sparks flying between her and Ryan, but she isn’t sure if she should trust her heart again, and worries a relationship might complicate coaching. And when a scandal rocks the gymnastics world, and an offer is made, everything may be on the line, including any possibility of a relationship with Ryan.

This book hooked me from the very first word. I was nervous because the last two books I read didn’t wow me, but Orenstein pulled me in completely. I felt totally vested in Hallie’s dreams and Avery’s rebuilding her life and, of course, the sparks between her and Ryan.

Even as I knew the typical obstacles were coming, I rooted for everyone and hope things didn’t go too off-course. I also really loved the way Orenstein meshed some serious subjects with the lightness of a rom-com and the nerves around whether or not Hallie would succeed where Avery failed.

Looking for a great new rom-com of sorts? Maybe you’ll flip for Head Over Heels! (Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment