Saturday, October 10, 2020

Book Review: "Confessions on the 7:45" by Lisa Unger

Lisa Unger's Confessions on the 7:45 made me feel vindicated for not engaging people in conversation on public transportation. (I don't know about you, but I'm not one of those people who makes fast friends with people they sit next to on planes or trains. I just want to get where I'm going and read as much as possible, lol.)

What a crazy read this was!

Selena's had a hard day at work. But it's not the job that's the problem—she had been suspecting that her unemployed husband has been sleeping with the nanny, and thanks to a repositioned nanny cam, she gets more evidence that she was right. Although she feels betrayed, she doesn't know what to do. The nanny is good with their kids, and she actually still loves her husband, even though she also hates him.

After missing her usual train home, she takes the next one, only to have it stall on the tracks. The woman seated next to her introduces herself as Martha and they strike up a conversation, during which Martha confesses to having an affair with her married boss. She knows it's wrong and she wishes she could stop, but she's worried what it might mean for her job. In return, Selena mentions that she suspects her husband of sleeping with the nanny. They speak for a few minutes more and then the train starts moving again.

While later she seems embarrassed that she overshared with a complete stranger, she tries to put the conversation behind her. And then a few days later, the nanny disappears. Suddenly she and her husband are pulled into an investigation, and she starts to wonder just who Martha really was. And that's not even the half of it!

Confessions on the 7:45 is definitely one of those books that works better the less you know, so that's all I'm going to say about the plot. The plot of the book is full of twists and turns; some work remarkably well and some don't, but I couldn't put this down. There were times where I was utterly mesmerized and times that I shook my head.

This is the first of Unger's books I've read and it definitely won't be the last. Even though thrillers and I don't always get along, this definitely was a wild one.

Park Row Books and NetGalley gave me an advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making it available!

No comments:

Post a Comment