Sunday, March 6, 2022

Book Review: "The Night Shift" by Alex Finlay

I haven’t raced through a thriller this quickly in years, so thanks to Alex Finlay for The Night Shift!

Yes, this one has been everywhere on Bookstagram since it was officially released last week, and I’ve been dying to read it, so I jumped on it shortly after I bought it. And while it’s not really a book that evoked the spirit of 1999 like I expected, I thought it was great (despite guessing the killer very early in the book).

New Year’s Eve before 1999 turns to 2000. No one knows what to expect from Y2K, but the staff at a Blockbuster Video in New Jersey just wants to get home before midnight. Yet tragedy strikes: four employees are murdered, while one young woman miraculously survived. Although a suspect is quickly identified, he disappears shortly afterward he is released from prison.

Fifteen years later, several employees of an ice cream shop in the same New Jersey town are murdered, with only one bystander surviving. Is this a copycat crime, or could the killer have returned after all these years? The investigation will bring together a lot of people, including the sole survivor of the Blockbuster murders, the brother of the accused killer, who has believed in his brother’s innocence all these years, and a very pregnant FBI agent trying to figure out whether the two tragedies were connected.

The Night Shift had lots of great twists and turns, and there were so many places I didn’t know whom to trust or what might happen. While I was sad about one thing that happened in the book and had a few unanswered questions, I thought this was great. I'll definitely be picking up Finlay's previous book, Every Last Fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment