Saturday, October 10, 2026

Book Review: "Fail Sons" by Adam Wilson

Scott and his younger brother Nick have to fly to Arizona to pick up their father’s body, which has been cryonically frozen since his death in the 1990s. The plan is to take him back to the cryo company’s headquarters and they will attempt to reanimate him in a few years.

So they’re driving across the country with their father’s body on dry ice in a trailer. They’re both obsessed with the app that tracks the body’s temperature, since if it thaws it will no longer be viable. Scott and Nick don’t get along well, and they couldn’t be more different. Scott is a lazy stoner whose wife is about to have their first baby; Nick is uptight but in excellent physical shape.

“I’m here because I’m going through what may, in fact, be a midlife crisis on the cusp of fatherhood, and though the nominal purpose of our journey is to transport our father’s frozen corpse across this fair nation under the delusion that he might rise again—like the South, like Christ on Easter, like Rocky after twelve rounds with the Russian—what I really want is a drunken send-off before my firstborn arrives, and I’m disappointed that you’re not the right companion for the job.”

Nick insists on wearing a KN95 mask, as it’s 2022 and he never contracted COVID during the pandemic. But of course, as they drive through red states, his mask immediately gets peoples’ hackles up.

Their road trip sees them interacting with hippies, visiting Nick’s old girlfriend, taking various drugs, and mostly avoiding talking about their father. Meanwhile, Scott is worried about his wife and dealing with back and prostate problems, but he views the trip as a bit of a last hurrah.

This was darkly funny and very thought-provoking. It certainly was an adventure I never imagined reading about! I found both of the brothers to be amusing, quirky characters in their own way, and I was really curious about what would happen to their father’s body.

No comments:

Post a Comment