Saturday, June 19, 2010

Caution: Offended Driver Behind You



People have put bumper stickers on their cars for years. But more and more, instead of the "My Child is an Honor Student at Joe Schmo Middle School" or "Visualize World Peace," I've been seeing people take their political and social beliefs to their bumpers.

Of course, ardent politicos have always shown their support for their favorite local, state and national candidates. But over the last 10 years, with the country's divisions ever more sharply delineated and anger becoming the prevalent emotion, the goofy bumper stickers are being replaced by the critical, and instead of visualizing whirled peas, people are visualizing a world without abortion or same-sex marriage.

If you've ever read this blog or talked to me, you know I'm pretty liberal, particularly when it comes to social issues. While I believe everyone has a right to express their opinions, I don't know that I need to see their opinions when I'm stuck behind them in traffic for an hour. And as wrong as it may be, I'll admit my courtesy toward my fellow drivers lessens when faced with someone with a "Marriage is between a Man and a Woman" or a "Proposition 8 across the USA" bumper sticker. I'm sure some of those drivers are wonderful people, but I don't understand the need to trumpet your hatred in such a public way.

Again, I support everyone's right to believe what they want to. That's what makes this country as great as it still is.

But to the person driving around with the "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" bumper sticker, I'm not letting you merge in front of me.

Perhaps my bumper sticker should read "I Only Brake for People Who Hate in the Privacy of Their Own Homes"? Just a thought...

1 comment:

  1. Adam and Eve had anal sex. Who's smart enough to figure out what's wrong with this exegesis? Google "Robert Hagedorn's Blogs"

    ReplyDelete