Thursday, June 21, 2012

Standing up for what you believe, no matter what...



People aren't always willing to speak out about what they believe in, especially when they're in the public eye. But that is when you see a person's true character, and that is what makes me admire people not willing to remain silent when they see inequity or unfairness.

Carrie Underwood is such a celebrity. Recently, in an interview with the UK's Independent, she stated her support for marriage equality, saying, "As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry. I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."

While her support of marriage equality is admirable, what makes her actions even more so is the fact that she risks alienating some of her core audience, as a large number of country music fans are much more conservative, both politically and socially. (While it's a different case, remember the boycott of the Dixie Chicks after their comments bashing then-President George W. Bush.)

It's uncertain how much damage sales of her album might sustain from this stance, but she already has experienced some right-wing backlash. The good news is, she is undeterred by this criticism. While it makes her uncomfortable to know that people are saying negative things about her, she has stood by her comments when asked by some whether she wishes to rescind them.

My hope is that any negative effects Underwood experiences from this public support of equality will be short-lived. I know I'll certainly buy everything she has recorded, simply to show my appreciation for her willingness to stand up for people's right to marry the person they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment