Friday, July 20, 2012

How can we stop the madness?



I was watching the local news early this morning when Matt Lauer broke in with the devastating special report about a mass shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, during the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. As of current reports, 14 people are dead and 36 are wounded; reportedly the youngest person taken to the hospital as a result of the incident was six years old.

To hear of such a tragedy, particularly in a state still rocked by memories of the Columbine massacre, is completely unsettling. For me, the movie theater has always been such a haven, a place to get away and completely immerse myself in whatever world the filmmakers have created, so a massacre in a theater seems incomprehensible.

Now is not the time to debate gun control. It is time, however, to try and understand why people devalue human life so much that they feel justified in killing innocent people.

Who made you God, that you should have the power to take and alter the course of human lives?

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by this violence. I only hope the death toll doesn't continue to rise. And I hope that the trauma of this experience doesn't cause long-lasting effects for those who were involved.

I just wish life made more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment