Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cool cover song of the week...

As I've commented before, I'm a pretty big fan of The Beatles, and as much as I like their music, I really enjoy listening to cover versions of their songs as well, because I think the versatility of their music lends itself to different interpretations.

Across the Universe was written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. It first appeared on a compilation album in late 1969, and then it was a track on Let it Be. I'm totally captivated by the song's lyrics, particularly the line, "words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup." (Perhaps the inspiration for Crowded House's line, "try to catch the deluge in a paper cup" from Don't Dream It's Over?)

I also like the lyric, "Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns," because who wouldn't?

This song has lent itself to a number of cover versions. The most surreal is one from (believe it or not) The Scorpions. Surreal in that it's pretty darned mellow.



My favorite version of the song is Rufus Wainwright's rendition, mainly because I have always loved his voice. He recorded this for the I Am Sam soundtrack (which is an awesome soundtrack, BTW).



And Fiona Apple recorded a typically Apple-esque version for the 1998 movie Pleasantville. (Caution: Don't listen to this version while operating heavy machinery.)



Check out my previous Cool Cover Songs of the Week:

Borderline by The Counting Crows

How Deep Is Your Love by The Bird and The Bee

Life in a Northern Town by Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Jake Owen

I Don't Want to Talk About It by The Indigo Girls

Only You by Joshua Radin

Pure Imagination by Maroon 5

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by Blake Stratton

What a Fool Believes by Neri Per Caso

Poker Face by Daughtry

Back to Black by Ronnie Spector

I Will Survive by Cake

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by The Stereophonics

Rolling in the Deep by John Legend

Go Your Own Way by Lissie

Winner Takes it All by McFly

What a Wonderful World by Joey Ramone

Careless Whisper by Seether

I Walk the Line by Live

Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and The Banshees

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm

Who Wants to Live Forever by Breaking Benjamin

Redemption Song by Chris Cornell and Audioslave

Love Me Tender by Chris Isaak and Brandi Carlile

All You Need is Love by The Flaming Lips

Lovesong by Adele

I Love It by Robin Thicke

Billie Jean by The Civil Wars

No comments:

Post a Comment