Saturday, June 27, 2020

Book Review: "Love, Creekwood" by Becky Albertalli

Boy, it felt so good to be back in the Love, Simon universe!!

This novella picks up where Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda and Leah on the Offbeat left off. Simon, Bram, Leah, and Abby are all in college now, dealing with being away from home, trying to make the most of their college experience, navigating long-distance relationships and love and all the beauty and insecurities that come with it.

“When we say we want to freeze time, what we mean is that we want to control our memories. We want to choose which moments we’ll keep forever. We want to guarantee the best ones won’t slip away from us somehow. So when something beautiful happens, there’s this impulse to press pause and save the game. We want to make sure we can find our way back to that moment.”

This book is told all in emails back and forth. Some of the emails have a surprising amount of emotion contained in them, and the discussion about finding the memories you want to keep forever, like the quote above, even choked me up a little.

I’ve really loved these stories and these characters, and also adored the Love, Simon movie. I definitely saw the actors in my head as I was reading this. (I also may have watched a few clips from the movie on YouTube once I finished this book.)

I just wish this was longer!! Even though she said before publishing this that she didn't intend to do any sequels or follow-ups, I do hope that Becky Albertalli plans to revisit the Creekwood gang again because I didn’t realize just how much I missed them until I read this.

Albertalli is donating all of the proceeds from this book to The Trevor Project, which is an organization near and dear to my heart, as are so many others I support.

The beauty of my month-long Pride Reads effort continues!!

No comments:

Post a Comment