Sunday, November 29, 2020

Book Review: "He Started It" by Samantha Downing

Whoa. Samantha Downing's He Started It definitely makes me want to think twice about ever going on a road trip with my family!

Their grandfather has died, but in order to inherit his sizable estate, Eddie, Beth, and Portia must take a cross-country road trip and scatter his ashes at the end. The trip is a duplicate of one they took with their grandfather when they were younger, and they’re expected not to deviate from the original travel plans. If they don't complete the trip, they will lose the inheritance.

The original road trip wasn’t an entirely pleasant experience, to say the very least. And as they visit the sites they once did, old memories and resentments are rehashed, while new challenges emerge.

Along the way, they’ll deal with spouses who just don’t get it, stay in run-down motels, confront a menacing trio of people, and more. Little by little, Downing reveals the multiple layers of this story and these characters, particularly Beth, the narrator.

The book switches from past to present. I didn’t know what to expect, but I devoured this book because I needed to know what was going to happen.

While I didn’t love the ending, I couldn’t get enough of the tension and mystery that unfolded. Sure, these characters are unlikeable, and you don’t know whom to root for (if anyone), but Downing hooked me completely.

This was a crazy book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment