Thursday, December 24, 2020

Book Review: "The 12 Dates of Christmas" by Jenny Bayliss

It seems like everyone on Bookstagram has been reading this, and holiday rom-coms are such fun this year, so I picked up Jenny Bayliss' The 12 Dates of Christmas.

It’s not that Kate needs a man per se, but she wouldn’t mind being in a relationship again. And in her small English town, she doesn’t have a lot of options, so at her friend’s persuasion, she signs up for a dating agency that will match her up with 12 different men on 12 different dates before the holidays. One of them has to go well, right?

While some of the dates start off promising (some look bad from the get-go), very few have appear to have any long-term potential. And of course, it’s not easy when the whole town knows the story of every date shortly after it happens!

As Kate starts to wonder whether she might have found a possibility, at the same time, she starts to realize that perhaps she’s been looking in the wrong place all along. But what are the chances that she can finally find the right man, and one who feels the same way?

I thought this was absolutely adorable and fun, even if I literally predicted what would happen within the first 5 pages. But as I’ve said before, while I hate predictability if I’m reading a thriller, I’m fine when reading a rom-com!

While there was so much that was charming about this book (I love books that take place in small English towns), what I loved best were the details that Jenny Bayliss incorporated into her story, related to Kate’s career as a textiles designer and her part-time baking gig. The imagery she evoked is really fantastic. (Plus, there were a few recipes, so I was totally sold.)

This reminded me a little of one of my favorite YA novels of the year, 10 Blind Dates. Definitely a fun, sappy, Christmas rom-com!

No comments:

Post a Comment