Monday, December 28, 2020

Book Review: "Greenlights" by Matthew McConaughey

Alright, alright, alright...

Greenlights is exactly what you’d expect a memoir from Matthew McConaughey to be like, and that’s pretty great.

I’ve been a McConaughey fan since he appeared as Drew Barrymore’s boyfriend in the movie Boys on the Side. Aside from his obvious aesthetic gifts (I saw him once in person during his dirty, shoeless days in Austin and he was still totally magnetic) and his acting talent, I’ve always thought him to be one of the bluntest, funniest, most cerebral celebrities out there. (Look up his Oscar acceptance speech on YouTube to see what I mean.)

Greenlights is, as he puts it, “fifty years of my sights and seems, felts and figured-outs, cools and shamefuls. Graces, truths, and beauties of brutality. Getting away withs, getting caughts, and getting wets while trying to dance between the raindrops. It’s a love letter. To life.”

This is at turns funny, blunt, insightful, emotional, and even so outrageous you wonder if he’s being completely truthful (although it wouldn’t surprise you if he is). But while he’s definitely a what-you-see is what-you-get type of guy, what you get is a man who clearly operates by the strong code of morals and behaviors he was raised with.

I thought this was such a great read, but don’t go in expecting a tell-all: he has nothing to say about any of his costars or collaborators. And that honestly was fine with me, because I wouldn't expect him to be that type of guy.

I’m not normally an audiobook guy, but how could I pass up buying the audio of this to hear that voice read his own words? Obviously if you're not a fan of his this may not work, but I really enjoyed it. And I don't read very many memoirs at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment