Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Book Review: "The Guncle" by Steven Rowley

You know the feeling when a book is as amazing as you hoped it would be, maybe even better? That's how I felt reading Steven Rowley's new book, The Guncle.

⁣ ⁣ Patrick was a well-known actor on a television sitcom, but when the show was done, he retreated to Palm Springs, where he essentially cut himself off from the world. But when his sister-in-law and best friend dies, it brings him home to Connecticut and back to his family.⁣

⁣ Patrick’s brother tells him that he’s dealing with a crisis of his own and he needs him to take his two young kids for three months. Patrick can’t believe anyone would entrust their kids to him. And what would he even do with them? He’s never even really been around his niece and nephew that much, let alone thought about raising them.⁣

⁣ Even though temporary fatherhood is the last thing he ever dreamed of, Patrick is determined to help Maisie and Grant deal with their grief over their mother’s death. It turns out Patrick needs to grieve for Sara too, and he still is dealing with the emotions caused by a tragedy that happened a few years before.⁣

⁣ Patrick is not your ordinary caregiver—he quotes Oscar Wilde and Grey Gardens, has a closet full of caftans, and a bunch of “Guncle Rules,” but it turns out that he’s more suited for this role than anyone might have imagined. And, of course, the kids help him just as much.⁣

⁣ Rowley has created a fantastic book which left me crying and laughing, sometimes simultaneously. It certainly made me think of my four nephews—they range in age from 1 to 13–and while I’ve never actually called myself “Guncle Larry” I’ve certainly tried to be the best uncle I can be, even though I’m 3-1/2 hours away.⁣

⁣ I loved this book so much. I didn’t want it to end, and I wanted to hug it when I was done.⁣

⁣ BookSparks and Putnam Books sent me a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review as part of #SRC2021. Thanks for making it available!!⁣

No comments:

Post a Comment