Saturday, June 26, 2021

Book Review: "Hairpin Bridge" by Taylor Adams

In Taylor Adams' latest thriller, Hairpin Bridge, a young woman’s dogged pursuit of the truth behind her twin sister’s alleged suicide opens up more questions and puts her in danger.

I can’t really call this review an unpopular opinion because I’ve been seeing a number of mixed reviews on this book. I went in with lowered expectations based on people’s reactions but this one really didn’t work for me. I’m so disappointed, because I loved Adams' last book, No Exit.

Even three months later, Lena cannot believe that her twin sister Cambry killed herself. But the police say she drove to a deserted bridge in Montana and jumped to her death.

It’s true that Cambry had been driving around the country and living out of her car. And it’s true that Lena hadn’t seen her sister in some time. But how can you explain the 16 calls she tried to make to 911? Or the cryptic text Cambry sent Lena just before her alleged suicide?

Lena drives to Montana to meet with the policeman who allegedly found Cambry’s body. While he’s all too willing to share his version of events, what isn’t he telling Lena? As she tries to uncover the truth, she doesn’t realize she’s stepping into the middle of a dangerous web of lies from which she might never escape.

Simply put, Hairpin Bridge was a thriller that wasn’t thrilling for me. I felt the characters were all pretty one-dimensional and not much really happened. And shortly after I started reading the book, I thought a few things might happen and I hate when I can predict everything in thrillers.

Some friends have liked this book, so don’t let me dissuade you if you've been looking forward to it or if you're a huge thriller fan. I will say that Adams has a knack for description and imagery—I could see the bridge in my mind’s eye.

William Morrow Books provided me with a complimentary advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making it available!!

No comments:

Post a Comment