Monday, September 20, 2021

Book Review: "56 Days" by Catherine Ryan Howard

56 Days, Catherine Ryan Howard's new thriller, hooked me COMPLETELY!!

The FOMO got too powerful to resist on this one, considering how many people I had seen reading this on Bookstagram. Given that the book takes place in the early days of the COVID pandemic and subsequent lockdown in Ireland, I wasn’t sure how triggering it would be, but while it set a mood and provided evocative description, I didn’t see it as a hurdle to overcome.

Fifty-six days ago, Ciara and Oliver meet at a supermarket. They share some witty banter and start dating shortly afterward. Neither is sure what to expect from this relationship.

Three weeks later, as COVID lockdown restrictions start to be enforced in Dublin, Oliver suggests that they move in together and deal with quarantine together. Both are hopeful but nervous, for very different reasons.

Today, police have been summoned to Oliver’s apartment because of a horrible odor. They find a body that has been decomposing for a little while.

Whose body is it? What happened? What secrets will be uncovered?

The concept of 56 Days, shifting from past to present, shifting in narration between Ciara, Oliver, and the police detective investigating the case, drew me in instantly. Howard created a twisty web of a plot that continued surprising me as each new detail unfolded.

Yay, another thriller I enjoyed! Go me! (If you follow my reviews, you'll know that I have an uneasy relationship with thrillers. I always get excited when I find one that surprises and hooks me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment