Monday, February 28, 2022

Book Review: "Shiver" by Allie Reynolds

When old friends are brought together for a reunion, they don’t realize the organizer is seeking vengeance!

One of my reading resolutions of sorts this year was to read more backlist books I own. I’ve been doing a really good job so far, and nearly every book I’ve read has left me saying, “Why didn’t I read this sooner?” And boy, Shiver is sure one of those books! This was as great as everyone said it was!

When Milla gets an invitation to join some old friends at the ski resort in the French Alps where they all spent a season training for an exclusive snowboarding competition, she’s hesitantly excited. She hasn’t seen these people in 10 years, since one of their group went missing. It was an intense time in their lives and they shared lots of memories—some good, some bad.

The excitement of seeing each quickly wanes when the group realizes they’ve been trapped at the ski resort on top of a glacier. Their phones and laptops have been taken, there appears to be no one working at the resort, the cable car to get them back down from the glacier isn't operational, all the emergency radios are gone, water and electricity get shut off, and there’s no way down except to snowboard, which none have really done in some time.

Who was responsible for bringing them together? Is it one of the five of them, trying to flush out what happened to their missing friend? Or is it someone else seeking vengeance? As the situation grows more sinister, it’s clear everyone has secrets and guilt, including Milla.

Even though I’ve grown weary of the locked-room concept, I thought Shiver was so good and twisty. I had no clue who to trust or what to believe, and the narrative, which shifted between the present and that intense season 10 years ago, was taut with suspense. And Allie Reynolds’ imagery had me searching for my winter coat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment