Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Book Review: "Bookworm" by Robin Yeatman

Sometimes, the best stories are the ones in your head.

Do you ever feel out of step with other readers, in that you don’t like books that many seem to love, and you love some that have gotten mixed reviews? It seems like that’s been happening a lot lately for me, but I guess that’s one of the amazing things about reading!

Victoria would love her entire life to change. Her husband is a demanding boor who repulses her, her parents are constantly critical of her, she hates her job, and her one friend doesn’t seem to get her. She loves to lose herself in reading. (Same, girl. Same.)

One day she stops in her favorite cafe to read and relax and she spots the man of her dreams. Not only is he handsome, but he’s also a reader—in fact, he’s reading the same book she is! She definitely sees that as a sign that they’re meant to be together.

More and more she fantasizes about being with her dream lover; in fact, she envisions visiting him at night and their trysts. At the same time, she keeps envisioning scenarios in which her husband meets his end, inspired by some of her favorite books. And then one night, her fantasies and reality collide.

This is a dark book, and I’ll admit the line between fantasy and reality confused me at times. I also didn’t like that the characters hated A Little Life and liked Eileen, as I felt the opposite about those!!

Still, this is a unique story and I know it appealed to others, so maybe I'm not the person you should listen to about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment