Sunday, February 19, 2023

Book Review: "Eileen" by Ottessa Moshfegh

Ottessa Moshfegh's debut novel is blunt and a little creepy, but it packs an unexpected emotional punch.

Are there authors you’ve been meaning to read for a while, authors you’ve heard a ton about and always wondered whether their writing was for you? I have many of those, and one of them is Moshfegh. This book has been on my shelf for a few years so I thought I’d give it a try.

Eileen is a dissatisfied, lonely young woman. She spends her days working in the office at a juvenile detention facility, where she feels total disdain for her two female coworkers, and often fantasizes about Randy, a handsome young guard. By night she lives with her alcoholic father, buying his liquor and keeping him from killing himself and others, and she dreams of running away, of ending her life, of getting out of the dilapidated house and its perpetual state of decay.

Into this miserable existence comes Rebecca, the prison’s new education director. Rebecca is everything Eileen wishes she could be—confident, beautiful, one who commands attention. Eileen dreams of building a friendship with Rebecca, one that could perhaps change her life. And before she knows it, she becomes a willing accomplice to a crime.

The book is narrated by a much-older Eileen looking back on that time of her life. The story is an interesting one and I read with a great deal of trepidation, worrying about what would happen. But Moshfegh’s style is very in-your-face; there’s a lot of detail about bodily functions, decay, body parts, etc.

I definitely recognize Moshfegh’s talent but I’m not sure if I’ll read another of her books unless someone can tell me they’re not as graphically detailed.

1 comment:

  1. Great quick review, Larry. This is also on my to-read list as an audiobook, so I may just to prioritise it for this year. I read 'My Year of Rest and Relaxation' last year so I can definitely understand what you might be alluding to in terms of 'graphically detailed'. MYORAR was the kind of book that I found bizarre and disconcerting at the time of reading, but it really stuck with me and grew on me over time as I thought more about it. It was a hard-to-forget read, and I really respect the author's ability to write in such an impactful way. The plot of 'Eileen' sounds intriguing. Cheers! ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete