Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cool cover song of the week...

As I said about a week and a half ago, I'm a huge music fan, and my tastes vary widely, from rap to opera, country to pop, and everything in between.

Collecting the 23,000+ songs I have on my iPod (I call it the industrial strength iPod, because it's the biggest one they make; no Nano or Shuffle for me!), I've come upon tons of cover versions of songs. Some are completely faithful to the original, some give the original a little twist.

While I undoubtedly consider Andy to be my favorite Gibb brother, I first started getting into music right around when Saturday Night Fever hit theaters. The Bee Gees were nearly ubiquitous on every radio, not to mention the eight-track tapes my parents used to listen to. (Remember those?) I enjoy their up-tempo songs, but I've always loved How Deep is Your Love.

I can't be sure, but I think I first heard this version of the song, by The Bird and The Bee, used as background music for the evening gown competition at a local or state pageant somewhere, and it has stuck in my head. I love the stripped-down nature of their version of the song; you can't compare the two, but both hit the right, well, notes for me depending upon my mood.

Enjoy. And don't forget to share your favorite cover songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment