Monday, November 26, 2012

Cool cover song of the week...

This week's cover song is the Indigo Girls' 1993 cover of I Don't Want to Talk About It, which they recorded for the soundtrack to Philadelphia. I'm a huge fan of this song, and this version in particular, but then again, I think the Indigo Girls can do no wrong. (Don't you?)

As an aside, when this version of the song was released, my friend Gayle and I would sing it in the car constantly, even matching Amy and Emily's harmonies. What can I say?

While Rod Stewart's version of the song seems to be the most ubiquitous, I learned that the song was written by Danny Whitten, whose band, Crazy Horse, first released it in 1971. And since then, the song has been covered by a diverse group of artists including Rita Coolidge, Everything But the Girl, and even UK X-Factor winner Joe McElderry. (The things you learn from Wikipedia...)

Take a listen and let me know what you think. Previous cover songs can be found here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment