Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cool cover song of the week...

Nearly 36 years after his death, Elvis continues to endure. Beyond the legend of the man himself (and hell, I've even made the pilgrimage to Graceland to pay homage), his music still makes you feel romantic, wistful, or even playful, and certainly can turn almost anyone into an Elvis impersonator for a few brief minutes.

Love Me Tender was released in 1956 when Elvis performed it on The Ed Sullivan Show, a month before his movie of the same name debuted. The song hit #1 on the Billboard charts in November 1956, remaining in the position for 5 weeks, and also reached #3 for 3 weeks on the R&B chart. This version was ranked #437 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

While the song has been covered by everyone from Norah Jones and Linda Ronstadt to Frank Sinatra and Richard Chamberlain(!), I really enjoyed the duet recorded by Chris Isaak and Brandi Carlile, for the 2008 tribute album and concert, Elvis Viva Las Vegas. Both of their voices are so unique and soaring, and their harmonies work tremendously well on this song.

Here's the duet:


And for a trip down memory lane, here's the King himself:


Check out my previous Cool Cover Songs of the Week:

Borderline by The Counting Crows

How Deep Is Your Love by The Bird and The Bee

Life in a Northern Town by Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Jake Owen

I Don't Want to Talk About It by The Indigo Girls

Only You by Joshua Radin

Pure Imagination by Maroon 5

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by Blake Stratton

What a Fool Believes by Neri Per Caso

Poker Face by Daughtry

Back to Black by Ronnie Spector

I Will Survive by Cake

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by The Stereophonics

Rolling in the Deep by John Legend

Go Your Own Way by Lissie

Winner Takes it All by McFly

What a Wonderful World by Joey Ramone

Careless Whisper by Seether

I Walk the Line by Live

Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and The Banshees

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm

Who Wants to Live Forever by Breaking Benjamin

Redemption Song by Chris Cornell and Audioslave

2 comments:

  1. i love finding great covers of songs :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I started this feature a while back because I found I have so many cover versions of songs on my iPod.

    ReplyDelete