Monday, December 16, 2019

Book Review: "The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky" by Mackenzi Lee

The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky is a sweet, sexy, short romp about love and sex and planning a future together.

I absolutely LOVED Mackenzi Lee’s Montague Siblings Series, particularly The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue. It was so unique, so fun, so romantic, and so poignant. Monty and Percy are easily one of my favorite literary couples in recent years.

This novella is an amuse-bouche of sorts, coming in at slightly over 100 pages. Here Monty, Percy, Felicity, and the crew of the Eleftheria are enjoying some R&R on the island of Santorini, and all are plotting their next move. While Monty and Percy’s feelings about one another are now out in the open, Monty finds himself nervous for the first time about the next steps in their relationship. Why does the idea of intimacy with Percy scare him when he’s always been a bit of a rogue? Why is he so frightened of Percy's wanting to plan a future together?

"I have never in all my born days been this clumsy about getting tangled up with someone. Perhaps it’s because it’s Percy, the first person with whom I’ve ever made it this far that mattered. Or perhaps it's because in the shadowy corners of my heart, I know I'm the sort of person you romp with for one wild night and then you climb out the window before I wake. The sort of person no one wants to be around unless there's some kind of reward involved, preferably of a sexual nature. Not the sort you bet all your chips on a life with. How long before he realizes that? And how much longer before he regrets wasting his first time on me?"

This is such a sweet, sexy story, complete with the ribald silliness that is a hallmark of these books. The craziness goes on a tiny bit too long, but ultimately, it’s just too darned short!! It’s certainly whetted my appetite for Lee’s next book in the series, which is due out in August 2020.

If you’re a fan of these characters and this terrifically fun, creative series, make sure you get your fix with this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment