Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Book Review: "A Good Girl's Guide to Murder" by Holly Jackson

You know the feeling when you literally sit in the car outside your office and race to finish your book? That's what happened to me this morning with Holly Jackson's excellent debut novel, A Good Girl's Guide to Murder.

“...I don’t know who I am when I’m not working, when I’m not focused on or totally consumed by a task. Who am I between the projects and the assignments, when there’s nothing to do? I haven’t found her yet as it scares me. Maybe that’s why, for my senior capstone project this year, I decided to solve a murder.”

The murder of Andie Bell rocked Pippa Fitz-Amobi’s small New England town five years ago. She was pretty and popular, and when her boyfriend killed himself shortly after she disappeared, the case quickly closed, even if Andie’s body was never found.

But for some reason, Pippa has always felt some nagging sense that the case wasn’t as cut and dry as it appeared. She thinks everyone was too quick to accuse Sal, Andie’s boyfriend, of the crime, even if all signs pointed to his guilt.

When she decides to focus on the case as her senior capstone project, she doesn’t have any expectations of turning up new evidence, finding new suspects, or stirring up chaos, but all of those things occur. She also puts herself and her family in danger, especially as she stumbles closer and closer to answers to some unresolved questions.

How far should she go? She can’t seem to stop, especially because she wants to prove Sal’s innocence to his younger brother, Ravi, who becomes her partner of sorts. But just what is the truth? And who will it hurt if it is revealed?

This book was so good!! Even though I predicted some stuff (and as per usual, treated everyone like a potential suspect), I couldn’t get enough of this mystery. I really liked Pippa and Ravi, and I was completely hooked on the story, which had lots of twists and turns. Plus, how cool of a name is Pippa Fitz-Amobi?

Trigger warning: some implied animal cruelty, although it happens outside the narrative.

So glad this one was worth the hype, and can't wait to see what Jackson does next.

No comments:

Post a Comment