Monday, October 25, 2021

Book Review: "Uncommon Type: Some Stories" by Tom Hanks

The two-time Academy Award-winning actor tries his hand at fiction with Uncommon Type: Some Stories.

⁣ ⁣ Did you ever use a typewriter in school or are you one of those youngsters to have only known computers? (I’m old enough to have taken three years of typing in middle school, but whatever.) Anyway, I ask what seems to be an unrelated question because Tom Hanks LOVES typewriters. So much so, in fact, that he’s worked one into every story in this collection. (Yup.)⁣

⁣ That gimmick notwithstanding, this is an interesting and at times amusing and insightful collection. The first story made me laugh, some stories made me think. Hanks is a talented writer but in the end, these stories just didn’t wow me.⁣

⁣ I’ve commented with some of you about the unevenness of short story collections and this was definitely an example of that, with some stories stronger than others. But still, were Hanks to write a novel, I’d definitely check it out.⁣

What's your feeling about celebrities as authors? Other than memoirs, have you read books by celebrities that you've enjoyed? ⁣

No comments:

Post a Comment