Friday, January 7, 2022

Book Review: "Golden Boys" by Phil Stamper

I loved Phil Stamper's upcoming YA book, Golden Boys so much. I wish my life (and the world) could’ve been like this when I was in high school!

The four of them are best friends—Sal, Reese, Heath, and Gabriel. They’re the only out queer students in their Ohio high school, so they naturally gravitated toward each other. And while all are inseparable, Sal and Gabriel have hooked up from time to time, while both Reese and Heath would like to, but neither has the courage to say so. They've seen each other through good times and bad, including a bullying incident at school that still haunts two of them.

This summer will be different, though. Sal is headed to DC to intern for a senator; Reese is going to Paris to attend design school; Gabriel will be volunteering for a Save the Trees-type organization in Boston; and Heath will be spending the summer in Daytona Beach, working at his aunt’s arcade as his parents navigate a divorce.

How will the summer change them and their relationships? When senior year of high school rolls around, will they be able to recapture their friendship or will everything be different? What will their future ambitions look like?

I thought this really was a fantastic book. When I was growing up, nobody was out, so there was no one to truly commisearte with who got what I was feeling. I'm so glad that kids today have it (at least somewhat) different, and have books like this to remind them that everything can be okay!

Stamper is one of my favorite YA authors, but I loved this new book best. Thanks to Storygram Tours and Bloomsbury YA for inviting me on the tour for this book and providing me a complimentary copy in exchange for an unbiased review!

Golden Boys publishes 2/8/22.

1 comment: