Sunday, January 16, 2022

Book Review: "Seasonal Work" by Laura Lippman

Seasonal Work is a collection of intriguing, thought-provoking short stories, some with a tinge of mystery. But they're not about seasonal work, lol.

Do you enjoy when authors you like take a bit of a departure from their usual stuff? I’ve read a lot of Laura Lippman’s mysteries, but in this, her latest book, she focuses more on fiction than on crime, although one of her most well-known protagonists, Tess Monaghan, makes an appearance in two stories.

The collection includes 12 stories. Some blew me away, some were really good, and a few didn’t quite click for me. There’s some element of deviousness or deception in each of the stories, which brings some added depth. Among my favorites in the collection: “Just One More,” in which a couple quarantining during COVID decide to join a dating app to see how compatible they really are; “Slow Burner,” about a woman who finds her husband’s burner phone; “Five Fires,” in which a spate of fires rock a small town; “Cougar,” about a woman whose no-good son moves back in and brings his girlfriend; and “Seasonal Work,” the title story, in which a scheming single father might have met his match.

As I’ve discussed a few times recently, I’m a fan of short stories but at times they leave me wanting more. And while that was the case with some stories, I love the way Lippman writes and some of the stories in this collection just hit that sweet spot for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment