Thursday, September 8, 2011

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?

The impending 10th anniversary of 9/11 on Sunday has me dreading the weekend a bit. Even though the media hasn't shied away from covering the tragedy every year, somehow I feel this milestone may be a bit more overwhelming than I can handle.

Earlier this week, a friend on Facebook asked if people remembered where they were when they first heard the news of the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, and the plane crash in Shanksville. While I have shared my recounting of that day on my blog previously, it still feels strange to share with people my memories of that day.

Somehow the question being raised triggered a continuous refrain of Alan Jackson's song about 9/11, Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning. While I tend to steer clear of books, movies, etc. that use 9/11 as their focus, this song touches me, at least right now.

In the coming days, I'm sure everyone will be asked at least once where they were or what they were doing on that fateful day. I'll just take the message that Alan Jackson is conveying in this song as a bit of a comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment