Friday, December 21, 2012

Cool cover song of the week...

If you've been following these cover song posts, you'll notice that I'm particularly enamored when a cover takes a more upbeat song and strips it down. And that's what I'm focusing on in this week's post.

The Proclaimers' hit song, I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) became a hit in the U.S. in 1993 when it was featured in the Johnny Depp-Mary Stuart Masterson movie Benny and Joon. It's one of those songs that never fails to make me smile and feel a little more energetic, even if I don't actually understand all of the lyrics.

Interestingly enough, the song was first released by the band in 1988. It reached number 11 on the UK charts and number 1 on the Australian ARIA Charts in 1989, and hit number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US in 1993.

Singer Blake Stratton released a cover of the song in September 2011, on his debut album The Bellevue EP. I love Stratton's voice, and I particularly love what he did to this song, as his spare, melodic arrangement calls more attention to the beauty of the lyrics and their meaning.

Two completely different versions of the song, and I like them both for different reasons. What do you think?

Here's Stratton's version:


And here's the original, just for fun:


Check out my previous Cool Cover Songs of the Week:

Borderline by The Counting Crows

How Deep Is Your Love by The Bird and The Bee

Life in a Northern Town by Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Jake Owen

I Don't Want to Talk About It by The Indigo Girls

Only You by Joshua Radin

Pure Imagination by Maroon 5

No comments:

Post a Comment