Sunday, April 25, 2021

Book Review: "Kate in Waiting" by Becky Albertalli

As Becky Albertalli shows us in her latest book, Kate in Waiting, sometimes you wish you didn’t have EVERYTHING in common with your best friend.

Kate and Anderson are almost-inseparable best friends who do everything together. They drive to school together (well, Andy drives), audition for the school musicals, even crush on the same guys. But they’d never let anything get between them.

Until Matt, their mutual crush from theater camp, moves to Georgia and goes to their school. The more time she spends with Matt, the more she realizes how much she likes him. But the thing is, Andy does, too. When Matt and Andy share a class that Kate isn't in, they grew closer. And suddenly the competition for his affections may be the wedge that destroys Kate and Andy's friendship.

Time for an unpopular opinion: I am a huge fan of Becky Albertalli and I was eagerly awaiting this book. However, this one did not work for me at all. Usually being able to predict what happens within the first few pages doesn’t bother me, but this time it did.

But the real reason I disliked this book is the use of the words “fuckboy” and “f-boy.” I get using authentic terms but literally Albertalli used the word “fuckboy” in many cases 2 or 3 times per page, and used it interchangeably with “f-boy.” (Why one sometimes and not the other?) I seriously couldn’t believe it. It’s like talking to someone who uses a particular word or phrase over and over and over again. It just isn’t fun. (For the record, I've no objection to the word or the language, just the overuse.)

I love the diversity of Albertalli’s characters, particularly since her books take place in Georgia, and this has a theater-kid component I always enjoy. But I’ll just gloss over this experience and hope her sequel to What If It’s Us (which she again wrote with Adam Silvera) is more to my liking!

No comments:

Post a Comment